Tuesday Night at South River Pistol Club (Summer 2020)
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the starting date has been changed to May 26th. Some restriction will be in place until further notice:
- We will distance by using every other port
- Masks are optional
- You will be able to shoot for practice or shoot for record, your choice
- We will either score our own targets or pass right, score left, whichever seems easier, to be determined on Tuesday
- Bill Nolan will sign all of us in and out so we won't all be sharing one pencil
- Money will not be collected at this time
Starting Tuesday May 5th, thru September 29th, the Raritan Valley Pistol League (RVPL) will be starting our summer season at South River Pistol Club in South River NJ. Course of fire is 30 shots, 10 each of slow, timed and rapid fire. Practice sessions are May 5th and 12th; The first relay for record is May 19th. Bullseye shooters from any club are invited to compete in this .22 pistol league comprised of as many National Match relays as they care to shoot in the 20-week duration of the season.
Significantly different from shooting indoors at Lake Island, we shoot outdoors at South River for the summer season. Some shooters shoot the slow fire stage at 50 yards, others shoot all stages at 25 yards. Shooting night is Tuesday, starting at 5:30pm and ending when the last shooter says "enough" or there isn't enough sunlight to shoot by, whichever comes first. The commands are expertly given by members of the host club. Bring some DEET, as the mosquitos and "no see-ums" can get really vicious. As a special treat, Bill Nolan provides some of the most delicious cookies that have ever come out of a bakery, to ensure that we maintain sufficient stamina to compete.
The National Match Course, also known as the National Match Short Course or Gallery Match, is made up of 30 rounds. This course of fire is one of the most basic competition matches.
- The first phase of the match is 10 rounds to be shot in 6 minutes, using a slow fire target.
- The second phase is timed fire where there are two 5-shot strings and each string is 20 seconds long, but this time using a timed/rapid fire target.
- The final rapid fire phase is two 5-shot strings, each string being 10 seconds long. WHAT???!! Five shots in ten seconds? It's a lot easier than you might think.
The cost of the league is $25 per season and that includes a participation award. The award can be a t-shirt, hat, cleaning kit or some other useful item. And, of course, we are always available to talk about our shooting experiences, which is the best equipment to use, suggest tips and tricks to increase accuracy or discuss politics.
This a terrific way to expose yourself to competition in a very low stress way.
Contact: Robin Fox (732) 396-3395 for additional information.
South River Pistol Club
161 William Street South River, NJ 08882
(732) 254-2033 Google Map